Greening is a process where every small step matters and leads to a big change for the environment. We are working on a strategy that will make the Sopot Jazz Festival more and more "green" from year to year. We have already introduced a number of pro-ecological changes, which we write about below.
Transport produces the largest carbon footprint in almost any event. Considering the difficulty of limiting international transport (due to the supra-regional nature of the event), we place great emphasis on rationalizing local transport:
- transport schedules are arranged so that more than one person always travels by car;
- parking for bicycles is available near the main festival site, moreover, its location is very convenient for people traveling by public transport;
- 90% of the subcontractors employed at the festival come from the Tri-City, which minimizes the need for the crew to travel far.
After transport, gastronomy is the second area that poses a threat to the environment. To minimize its negative impact:
- we make sure that the food products available at the festival come from local suppliers;
- we try to make sure that as many products served as possible during the festival come from fair trade;
- we provide options for vegans and vegetarians;
- food and drinks are served in reusable or biodegradable containers;
- we avoid giving water in plastic bottles and encourage you to drink tap water;
- we do not use plastic straws.
Waste management is extremely important, therefore:
- we encourage our partners to separate their waste, and we make sure that recycling stations are available behind the scenes;
- ashtrays are available at all festival venues, which is to prevent cigarette butts from being thrown in random places.
We are fully aware that a sustainable festival should also generate a number of social effects, therefore:
- we provide a diverse program promoting openness and cultural diversity;
- we make sure that our events are accessible to people with disabilities;
- we provide affordable ticket prices;
- we engage the local community.